Dundalk, found approximately 27 kms north of Shelburne, was originally called McDowell’s Corners. Elias B. Grey of County Louth, Ireland was an Irish emigrant who made his way to our part of the world after surviving the Great Potato Famine of 1840-1845. He claimed Crown Land in Proton in 1849 and is credited for naming the village ‘Dundalk’ after his home town in Ireland. With the introduction of a railway and the development of farming, the area grew and in 1886 a provisional council was named and Dundalk was incorporated as a village. The 2011 national Census puts the population at 1,988, although recent development should see that number increase dramatically over the next few years as commuters to and from the GTA have become willing to trade a longer drive for an affordable home in a small town atmosphere.
Dundalk is known as the highest point in Ontario with an elevation of 526m (1,735 feet). As the municipality claims, “this makes for great big skies and a breeze that never quits”.
Dundalk is home to a library, an arena and a community centre which provide facilities for lacrosse, hockey and skating as well as swimming, and is served by a local newspaper, the Dundalk Herald, one of the last independently owned newspapers in the area. Popular annual events include the Automotive Swap Meet, Flea Market and Car Show, held on the 4th weekend of July each year and the Family Recreation Weekend which includes a parade, barbeque, generational tug-o-war and moves at dusk.
KELLER WILLIAMS GOLDEN TRIANGLE REALTY
- Municipality – Southgate
- Ruth Hargrave Memorial Library
- Dundalk Arena
- Dundalk Minor Baseball
- Dundalk Minor Hockey
Elementary and Secondary Schools
- Bluewater District School Board / Bruce Grey Catholic District School Board / Upper Grand District School Board
- Dundalk and Proton Community School
- Highpoint Community School
- Egremont Community School
- Grey Highlands Secondary School